Caminata Huchuy Qosqo Full Day
Huchuy Qosqo the Little Cusco is an archaeological site north of Cuzco, Peru, it was originally an administrative and military center near Pisaq, with many structures in the surrounding area. You can also look at Inca buildings with rock constructions and storage of fine and perfect grains called Collcas to store and maintain food, as it was a fundamental agricultural center to create corn.
Its name is Quechua for Little Cusco and it is at an elevation of 3,650 meters (11,800 feet), above the town of Lamay and the 3,000-meter-elevation Sacred Valley.
The water supply to the place is an amazing irrigation channel built by the Incas, lined with rocks for about 800 m.
This Huchuy Qosqo Trek belongs to the favorite short trekking destinations in the Cusco area due to its wide range of panoramic views during the trails. Tests of the fascinating site are made up of ups and downs that traverse lush lowlands, alpine forests, rivers, picturesque societies, Inca temples and palaces.
Huchuy Qosqo Trek takes you to explore the treasure of the Andes in a short time, it is perfect for individuals who do not long to spend a long time in the mountains but still long to feel the fascination of the Andes.
- Pre-departure information
- Pick up from your hotel in the morning and private transport to Patabamba, the starting point of the trek.
- Entrance to Huchuy Qosqo
- Professional English-speaking guide (2 guides for groups of more than 8 people)
- Boxed lunch: vegetarian or special menus available at no additional cost.
- First aid kit, including emergency oxygen bottle.
- Private transportation from Lamay to Cusco, including transfer to your hotel.
- Guest service 24 hours a day: ask for the emergency number available during your visit
- 1 goalkeeper
- Drinks such as water.
- Phone calls.
The Huchuy Qosqo trek takes you on the beautiful hike to the lesser known Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo. This site is located on a plateau with stunning views of the sacred valley and the snow-capped peaks of the Vilcabamba mountain range.
The day begins by driving to the small village of Corao, about 30 minutes from Cusco, before forking off the road into the high Andes and the small village of Patabamba at 3848 MASL / 12624 FASL. It is here that you will find the start of the Huchuy Qosqo trail.
This trail will take you first to the small village of Sihua, then to the Pukamarca pass (4150 MASL - 13615 FASL), overlooking the village with the same name. Here, you will have a splendid viewpoint of the Urubamba mountain range and the Sacred Valley. After reaching the top of the pass, there is a downhill hike of 2 km / 0.6 miles (approximately 30 minutes) to the comunity of Pumamarka for lunch.
After lunch, you will continue your hike to the Puma Puncu canyon ("the puma's door"). From here, you will walk along an original Inca trail, which has been restored as part of the Qapacñan project. This trail will take you to the isolated and mysterious Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo ("little Cusco") perched above the Sacred Valley of the Incas at 3600 masl / 11811 FASL. Once at the site, your guide will lead you and show you all the incredible Inca buildings of the site, such as sacred temples, storehouses, Inca terraces for agriculture and the Inca reservoir used to store water during the dry season.
After your guided tour of the site, we will begin our 2-hour hike downhill to the village of Lamay (2,800 meters) along the Urumbamba River in the Sacred Valley, where a bus will be waiting to take you back to your hotel in Cusco.
- 07:00 - 07:30 Pick up from your hotel in Cusco.
- 07:30 - 08:20 From Cusco to Coorao by bus.
- 08:30 - 11:00 Hike from Patabamba to Sihua.
- 11:00 - 12:00 Sihua, Pukamarca.
- 12:00 - 13:00 Lunch Pumamarka.
- 13:30 - 14:00 Pumamarca to Puma Puncu Canyon.
- 14:00 - 15:00 Guided visit of Huchuy Qosqo.
- 15:00 - 17:00 Descent to Lamay
- 17:00 - 18:30 Return to Cusco by bus to spend the night in Cusco.