Huchuy Qosqo Trek is simply the shortest trek in Peru and the most correct for those with a reduced time, however those who would still like to do a bit of trekking prior to exploring Machu Picchu . Huchuy Qosqo is an Inca archaeological site located north of the city of Cusco; its name is Quechua for “Diminutive Cuzco” This Huchuy Qosqo Trek belongs to the preferred short trekking destinations in the Cusco area because of its vast range of panoramic views during the trails. Huchuy Qosqo Trek takes you to explore the treasure of the Andes in no time, it is perfect for individuals who do not wish to spend extensive time in the mountains but still wish to feel the fascination of the Andes. The Huchuy Qosqo Trek goes to the remote areas of Cusco and is a newly opened hiking route located in the north of the Cusco city. The hike adorns various beautiful peaks such as Sawasiray , Pitusiray , La veronica and Chicon; besides it is the pilgrimage route and believed that the father of the Inca Pachacutec (Inca wiracocha) built his palace here, a temple that used to be the closest viable to mother nature. He will visit Huchuy Qosqo, a successful Inca built in the highest part of the Sacred Valley of the Incas.
Huchuy Qosqo Trek 2 Days
- Pick up from your hotels at approx. 05:45 a.m.
- Transfer by private vehicle to Tambomachay (starting point of the trek)
- 2 people per tent (the tents are comfortable and spacious)
- Comfortable mattress rolls or thermal rest.
- Experienced English speaking guide
- Food: 2 lunches 1 dinner 1 breakfast
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- First aid kit with emergency oxygen tank.
- Chef and kitchen equipment and kitchen tent.
- Meals: 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners.
- Horses (to carry tents, food, cooking equipment)
- 4 kg of personal load for your items (canvas bag provided by the company toMachupicchu)
- Hot water every morning and night for washing
- Boiled water to fill your bottle (and at lunchtime if requested well in advance)
- Private vehicle from Taucca or Lamay to Ollantaytambo
- Train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (Expedition)
- Reception in Aguas Calientes and transfer to the lodge.
- Accommodation in a private double room
- Early bus to Machupicchu from Aguas Calientes
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu on day 3 and free time
- Bus down from Machupicchu to Aguas Calientes
- Expedition Train return to Cusco or Train to Ollanta and bus to Cusco.
- Sleeping bag.- can be rented in our office for US$20 for the entire trek (each sleeping bag is washed before each use).
- Meals.- In the town of "Aguas Calientes" on the last day, you should consider a bugged US$15 to 30 in an average restaurant.
- Tickets to the mountain "Huaynapicchu" (US $ 30). Please advise at time of booking as spaces are limited.
- Advice.- for the staff.
Early in the morning, pick-up from your hotel in Cusco will be at 7:30 a.m. We will drive to Tambomachay (3800 MASL - 12467 FASL), an archaeological complex located in the Sacsayhuaman Archaeological Park. Tambomachay is composed of a series of ceremonial water fountains, which are believed to have been dedicated to the cult of water. The day's hike will begin at this point, and continue through puna landscapes and over the Sicllaccasa pass at 4100 masl / 13186 FASL where we will have spectacular views of two valleys. To your right, you will see the capital of the Incas, Cusco, with impressive mountains surrounding it. Your tour guide will tell you how and where the Incas arrived in this area, and about their conquest by the Spanish. There are two Inca sites at the bottom of the valley and, to your left, there will be beautiful scenery of mountains and farmland.
From the pass, we will follow the side of the valley, making our way to the top to cross to the other side. It is a 45 minute hike to the upper end of the valley. Once we get there, we will cross a small stream that divides the valley and start to reach our lunch spot at Qoricocha Lake. The landscape at the lake is quite arid because the whole area is a high puna between the mountains, and is covered with hardy Andean grass called Ichu. It is possible to see a great variety of birds, such as Andean geese, lapwings and partridges, among others. After lunch, we will continue to our campsite in the village of Patabamba. We will head to the top of one of the ridges and, as we descend, we will circle around the Qoricocha Lake (Lago Dorado). It is a two and a half hour hike to the village where we will be greeted by groups of locals who are always happy to welcome us into their community. After settling in and having a steaming cup of coca tea, we will visit one of the local families to learn about their way of life. If you have brought any gifts with you, you can share them with the family at this time. After visiting the family, we will have time to relax, and your tour guide will teach you more about the Andean lifestyle.
This trail will take you first to the small village of Sihua and then to the Pukamarca pass (4150 MASL - 13615 FASL) overlooking the village of the same name. Here, you will have a splendid viewpoint of the Urubamba mountain range and the Sacred Valley. After reaching the top of the pass, there is a downhill hike of 2 km / 0.6 miles (approximately 30 minutes) to the community of Pumamarka for lunch.
After this, you will continue your hike to the Puma Puncu canyon ("the puma's door"). From here, you will walk along an original Inca trail, which has been restored as part of the Qapacñan project. This trail will take you to the isolated and mysterious Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo ("little Cusco") perched above the Sacred Valley of the Incas at 3600 masl / 11811 FASL. Once at the site, your guide will lead you and show you all the incredible Inca buildings of the site, such as sacred temples, storehouses, Inca terraces for agriculture and the Inca reservoir used to store water during the dry season.
After your guided tour of the site, we will begin our 2-hour hike downhill to the village of Lamay (2800 MASL - 9186 FASL) along the Urumbamba River in the Sacred Valley, where a bus will be waiting to take you back to your hotel in Cusco.